The Company/The Situation
- Multibillion-dollar, Global, Reinsurance Carrier with a consistent track record of growth.
- A new CFO has been named and there are a number of transformation initiatives on the table.
- Much of the tax function has historical y been outsourced and there is a desire to bring this function in-house.
- A decision has been made to hire a Head of Tax.
- The Head of Tax will be responsible for all domestic and international tax matters and will be a key strategic partner to the Executive team.
- The focus will be on compliance, provisioning and optimization of tax strategies.
- A deep public accounting background backed up with insurance/reinsurance expertise in both the P&C and life space is required.
- Client will likely relocate the candidate since the pool of candidates in the local area is limited. This is a national search.
- A successful search on behalf of the client for an executive with strong transformation experience had recently been completed, and because of this, the CFO was confident in ARExecutiveSearch’s ability to identify a Head of Tax.
- Candidates were identified from a handful of national carriers who employed tax professionals with both P&C and life experience.
- Candidates were also identified directly from public accounting firms that had wel -developed tax insurance practice areas.
The Selection and Solution
- During the initial two-week recruiting phase, a number of potential candidates were identified, contacted and screened.
- Out of this initial pool of candidates, seven were selected for further discussion, and interview dates were set up with the internal recruiting team.
- After the first round of internal interviews, four top candidates were selected, and a slate was put together with a recommendation for meetings. These candidates were selected because of their tax experience in both P&C and life and their ability to forward face the operating groups effectively.
- Initial interviews via conference call were set up between the CFO and the four candidates. After the cal s, three candidates were selected to be flown in to the client headquarters.
- After face-to-face interviews, one candidate in particular was selected for the final round of interviews with other members of the Executive Team. This candidate came directly from public accounting.
- Final interviews with members of the Executive Team were completed, and after the candidate had met with the relocation team, an offer was extended.
- Salary negotiations wrapped up in four days, and the start date was set.
- Candidate started. He is doing well and growing out his team. Client is pleased both with the candidate’s progress and their decision to bring the tax function in-house.
The AR Group is a high-quality Accounting, Finance and Audit Talent Search and Staff Augmentation Company to the Insurance Industry.
We take pride in working with the best candidates who have Industry, Big-4 and significant finance experience from some of the best companies around.
Our deepest concentration of opportunities is in the NY, NJ, CT area, but we frequently have roles Nationwide and in Bermuda.