The Company/The Situation
- Client is an A+ rated, P&C carrier that is led by well-known executives from the insurance space who have a history of leading rapidly expanding carriers.
- There is a need to hire a Corporate Controller because the current Controller is planning on retiring.
- This Controller role is certainly appropriate for a current Corporate Controller or for a Senior Manager/Director from public who is looking for the next step.
- This role will be a training ground for a broader CFO role.
- The challenge will be to identify a candidate who has strong P&C experience, an ability to work in a mid-sized organization and who has strong subject matter expertise in controls/accounting.
- Additionally, the candidate should have the gravitas to eventually step into the CFO role if the CFO is selected for a broader operational/CEO role.
- The current Controller has known ARExecutiveSearch for a number of years.
- After the carrier had tried to complete the search itself, the Controller suggested that the Executive team reach out to ARExecutiveSearch.
- An introduction was made, and video meetings were scheduled for the client to have a better understanding of the search process and of what to expect in terms of timelines.
- The carrier team responsible for the search recognized ARExecutiveSearch’s deep insurance industry expertise and access to candidates who would fit their desired profile.
- A decision was made to engage ARExecutiveSearch on the search assignment.
- An initial reach out to ARExecutiveSearch’s network of Controller and public accounting candidates was started as well as the process of mapping the market for additional relevant candidates.
- After 2 weeks, several recommendations were generated along with direct responses from candidates in and outside of the network.
- The candidates were then ranked, and a candidate benchmarking meeting was scheduled to review candidate profiles.
The Selection and Solution
- Based on the rankings, two candidates stood out. A recommendation was made by ARExecutiveSearch to move forward with these top two candidates first before visiting with the remaining candidates.
- Candidate meetings were scheduled. After the meetings, one of the candidates stood out.
- Follow up meetings with others on the finance team were scheduled with this candidate and after the meetings, the Executive team decided to move forward with this candidate.
- An offer was made; Negotiations started; candidate accepted, and a start date was set.
- Candidate is doing well.
- Another successfully completed search!
The AR Group is a high-quality Accounting, Finance and Audit Talent Search and Staff Augmentation Company to the Insurance Industry.
We take pride in working with the best candidates who have Industry, Big-4 and significant finance experience from some of the best companies around.
Our deepest concentration of opportunities is in the NY, NJ, CT area, but we frequently have roles Nationwide and in Bermuda.