The Company/The Situation
- The Client is a privately held carrier that writes professional/general liability, workers comp and excess lines.
- Carrier is growing i AR_ES_rgb.jpg n excess of 15% year over year and writes business mainly in the health-care sector.
- This mid-sized carrier has been listed as one of the “Best Places to Work” in its state.
- The CEO has a need for a strong CFO who will not only be a strong finance partner but who will also be a strong operations and business partner (hence the title).
- The challenge is to identify a candidate who has been deeply embedded in a mid-sized carrier, who has had meaningful involvement with actuarial, underwriting, claims etc., and who has a strong GAAP and treasury background.
- The CEO’s strategic vision should be supported, so there is a need to identify a candidate with a track record of partnering with his/her CEO.
- The candidate should be able to create and translate all the key performance indicators into understandable, actionable data EPS that the CEO can use to support strategic decisions.
- The Client had a relationship with a search firm whose practice is insurance but whose focus is deeper on the operational side. ARExecutiveSearch and this other search firm also had a relationship for a number of years.
- Because the focus of this search was deeper finance, the other search firm, aware of ARExecutiveSearch’s solid track record and focus in finance, reached out and asked for some help.
- Meetings were set up and an introduction to the Client was made.
- ARExecutiveSearch shared with the Client its focus and approach. The search assignment was initiated.
- ARExecutiveSearch reached out to its robust network of CFO contacts in a 10-state area.
- A handful of contacts expressed an interest in potential y relocating to the geographic area where the role would be located.
- ARExecutiveSearch received a handful of quality referrals on this search from its network including 2 candidates who had previous ties to the area.
- A number of candidates were interviewed with an eye towards developing a slate of 5 candidates.
- A slate of 4 strong candidates was developed and presented.
The Selection and Solution
- Initial phone conversations were initiated; 3 candidates were selected to be flown into the area.
- Face to Face interviews took place; All conversations went well; There was a strong interest in one candidate in particular.
- The candidate had former ties to the area, but the family wasn’t familiar; The family was flown down to get to know the area. Everyone was comfortable; The family was connected with a local real estate agent.
- Salary negotiations started; Offer was formerly extended; acceptance and start date set.
- The Client is growing, the candidate is doing a great job supporting the CEO and the family is happy!
The AR Group is a high-quality Accounting, Finance and Audit Talent Search and Staff Augmentation Company to the Insurance Industry.
We take pride in working with the best candidates who have Industry, Big-4 and significant finance experience from some of the best companies around.
Our deepest concentration of opportunities is in the NY, NJ, CT area, but we frequently have roles Nationwide and in Bermuda.